We’re looking for an experienced designer to join our small Creative Team here in New York.
Product Designers at Tumblr work on a project from the humble beginning to the triumphant end. They brainstorm, iterate, collaborate across departments, and collate feedback the whole way through. They have a huge responsibility to the product and the community, and they’re comfortable with that.
Who we are
Tumblr’s Creative Team is small — there are just eight of us — but the impact we have on the company is huge. We’re designers, artists, and writers. We design, draw, and write everything that comes out of here.
The team designs the product from top to bottom, does research for case studies, arms the Sales team with beautiful material to communicate to advertisers, and crafts clear, thoughtful messaging for the press. We work together closely, and we rely on each other to remain critical of the work we produce.
What you’ll do
As a Product Designer, you’ll be making the big decisions about what Tumblr does next. You’ll take complex issues and offer simple, satisfying solutions to them. Then you’ll clearly communicate these solutions to the rest of the company, work with everyone to make sure they get executed swimmingly, and finally accept everyone’s praise with a demure wave of the hand. You’re a problem solver, not a glory hog.
You’ll be working on both the apps and the website — when we have an idea, we consider its implications across every platform — but your main focus will be on the iOS app. It’s a good one.
- Minimum 5 years experience
- Experience shipping an iOS app to the App Store
- Deep understanding of Tumblr’s product, direction, and community
- Ability to speak and write about complex ideas
- Expertise in Photoshop and Illustrator (or Sketch!)
- Comfortable in CSS and HTML
- Ability to self-manage multiple projects at once
- Humility, and the ability to take feedback
- Portfolio featuring examples of interaction design work
Please make this a personal email and include a link to where we can see your work.